We are a business development consultancy focused on helping professional services grow through the development of skills, processes and behaviours. There are currently four of us that make up Questas and between us we have over 30 years experience in the legal, engineering and property industries.
Gary is an experienced business development consultant and executive coach having spent the last 10 years working in the professional services sector.
The early part of his career was spent in sales and sales management within the IT and telecoms sector. Beginning his career with Cable and Wireless he then spent three years as Sales Director in New Zealand before returning to the UK with the Australian national carrier – Telstra.
Since 2004 Gary has brought his insights from the corporate world into the professional services arena. Clients here include Solicitors (from Magic Circle to regional players), commercial property firms and blue chip engineering consultancies, achieving great results by transforming the processes and behaviours of his clients in the area of business development and leadership.
In January 2012 Gary set up Questas Consulting to address real challenges faced by professional services firms in their own pursuit of growth. Some recent examples:
- The design and delivery of a key account management programme for one of the UK’s leading engineering consultancies. This involved the design of a new account management process and facilitation of senior teams in adopting it along with training in client relationship skills.
- Helping a mid-tier firm of solicitors create a model for growing the firm based on three areas of business development: Creating Opportunities, Converting Opportunities, Managing Key Clients.
- Taking on the role of ‘Business Development Director’ for a property consultancy, Gary works part-time for the firm driving forward growth by chairing the BD committee, training fee earners in Consultative Selling and working with departmental teams to create and deliver business and marketing plans.
“Gary has exactly the right balance of an effective framework for winning more work and an understanding that his clients are people; not machines that can just be re- programmed”.
Gillian has over 30 years experience in business development, predominantly in the professional services field. She has worked across a number of sectors including property and construction, where she has worked for both consultants and contractors, most recently at AECOM as Director of Global Clients for the Buildings business. She also spent 10 years in the legal industry, working as Marketing and Business Development Director at DLA Piper and Berwin Leighton Paisner. Her roles have encompassed all aspects of business development and marketing including client management and sales, pursuits and bidding, brand and communications.
Highlights have included:
• Designing and implementing a client service programme at Berwin Leighton Paisner which engaged all members of the firm in a programme to achieve excellence in client service.
• Designing and managing a Key Account Programme to grow global clients for the Buildings business at AECOM.
• Launching a new bids and proposals methodology at Davis Langdon to improve partner’s skills and increase the win rate across the business.
Sarah is passionate about helping companies win more work. With over 15 years of proven experience, Sarah’s enthusiastic and pragmatic approach to bidding has won her many converts and contracts. Working across a diverse range of sectors including professional services, the big four, construction consultancy and large engineering firms, Sarah understands what it takes to win, from pre-proposal activities through to the final presentation. As head of major bids for Buildings and Places at AECOM, Sarah also lead a core team of senior bid managers to help secure the firm’s most strategically important bids.
Highlights have included:
- Developing and rolling out bespoke bid processes resulting in dramatically increased win rates
- Changing the culture of bidding within organisations
- Developing and running bid training and one-to-one coaching across Europe, the Middle East and Africa
- Designing and overseeing the implementation of user friendly knowledge management systems
- A personal win rate of over 70%
Annabel has been a learning & development practitioner for fifteen years. She has worked both as a consultant and in-house, spending ten years at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, designing and delivering development programmes for both lawyers and support staff. Her subject expertise covers communication skills, management development and team-working. She is accredited in Belbin and Myers Briggs and is a seasoned role-player due to a love of performing and acting.
Career highlights include:
- Design and delivery of international development programmes for junior lawyers at Freshfield Bruckhaus Deringer. These highly interactive sessions focused on client culture awareness, team-working and self management.
- Design and rollout of new National Training Programme for Slater & Gordon UK. Over two years Annabel built up an L&D team from scratch, then led it to deliver business-based training programmes in all UK offices.