WORK WINNING WAYS WITH GARY WILLIAMS.
THE QUESTAS PODCAST: EPISODE FIVE
In conversation with Nigel Clark, Professional Services Marketing Leader and Author.
ABOUT THE GUEST
In this episode, Gary speaks with Nigel Clark. Nigel leads Marketing globally for SLR Consulting – an international leader of environmental and advisory solutions. They help clients of all shapes and size achieve their sustainability goals. He is an experienced strategy, marketing, communications and client development leader.
Nigel has a wealth of experience and holds nothing back in this episode. He shares thoughts and ideas relevant to anyone in the professional services sector.
- In Nigel’s world of consulting, it is common practice for most time and effort to be spent ahead of a bid for a job. It can be an extremely competitive process, even if you have a pre-existing relationship with the client.
- SLR Consulting have a formal client programme. They think about specific clients they want to develop a relationship with and try to make this a two-way process. They then have set people in the team who are designated to client relationship management. This ensures they are confident and comfortable in what they are doing.
- It can be useful in larger companies or bigger projects to have dedicated salespeople. These would still be people with a technical background as they need to have context and an understanding of the clients’ needs. This would mean other individuals would then focus on specialising on delivering different aspects of the project.
- “The vast majority of our time and effort is ahead of bid not after the bid”
- “You can’t expect somebody to sell and deliver that type of project”
- “I’m very confident at saying I’m not the person you need to speak to and develop this. But I have a colleague that can”