CREATE CONVERT RETAIN WITH GARY WILLIAMS.
THE QUESTAS PODCAST: EPISODE FOUR
In conversation with Amanda Geyman – Director of Strategic Growth for WSP UK – what it takes to make a good salesperson.
ABOUT THE GUEST
In this episode, Gary is joined by Amanda Geyman – Director of Strategic Growth for WSP UK. She has 20 years’ experience in business development, marketing and customer experience. Their conversation covers a lot of ground from lockdown challenges to Amanda’s take on best practice business development in the Engineering Consultancy industry.
An insightful episode that explores client management and the positive and negative impact of the pandemic. It covers how differentiating yourself and your business will creating lasting success and asks what it really takes to be a good salesperson and why you have to differentiate yourself.
- When you are under pressure it is important that you are focused. Target your energy on things of particular importance to the business. This was no more prevalent than in Amanda’s workplace during the pandemic.
- Empathy and understanding of clients is of key importance. Being able to check in and show some extra support and care through this time.
- The pandemic drove technology and virtual capabilities forward. This meant that Amanda and her team focused heavily on building and supporting their virtual coaching platforms.
- Businesses are working in a completely different way to how they were operating pre-pandemic. With the UK Covid restrictions being lifted, many companies are still being cautious.
- Amanda believes that human connection is vital in business. That connection is extremely important to the human experience so it’s imperative we remember that.
- Sometimes virtual meetings and calls can become very task focused. You can lose the time and mind space to be spontaneous and creative.
- There are myths and misconceptions around what it takes to be a good sales person. Amanda believes you need to take an interest in your client. Truly listen, because asking the right questions and delivering on your promises is what actually makes you a good salesperson.
“You have to dial up your ability and your flexibility”
“It fast-tracked a lot of things for a lot of people in order to be able to do business”
“Spending time with people in person develops trust”
“There’s this misperception of what selling is. That it’s something done by extroverted people who loves going to networking events and talking to strangers”
“Most clients don’t want to be sold to, that want to talk to people who get what their situation is”
Want more information on what it really takes to be a good salesperson and why you have to differentiate yourself? Try these valuable resources below: